Friday, July 9, 2010

Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul - John & Stasi Eldredge

I'm cheating a little bit here. I requested Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John & Stasi Eldredge and I'm only a part of the ways in it but it is incredible so far! I have family coming in for about a week so I know when I finish the book I won't have time to blog the review so I'm going to put down the description off the back of the book and tell you that no amount of words can tell you how wonderful this book is. It's almost freeing really. I can feel myself letting go of everything and looking forward to changing myself. I love books that allow you to look within yourself and rearrange your inner being. I can feel myself letting go of my self image a little bit, almost like cracking a safe open after so many years of trying. I can feel beauty and a little bit of understanding and knowing of who I am. That's a huge thing for me. I'm such a closed person who ends up with every backwards step, closing up more and more and I am so glad I began reading this now, when I needed it the most. I have hopes of it opening me up and becoming a stronger and better person. I hope to find the beautiful woman I am and disposing of this scared, self loathing person I am now. And from what I have read, I know it will change me in big ways :D I feel that yes, every woman should have this and every man should read it to understand us better as well. You can bet yoru pants Abel will be reading this. It will explain to him better than how I can, how to understand me and why I am the way I am. :) Definitely seek this book out! Definitely, definitely. Oh and they make one for guys too :)

"Every little girl has dreams of being swept up into a great adventure, of being the beautiful princess. Sadly, when women grow up, they are often swept up into a life filled merely with duty and demands. Many Christian women are tired, struggling under the weight of the pressure to be a "good servant," a nurturing caregiver, or a capable home manager.

What Wild at Heart did for men, Captivating is doing for women. Setting their hearts free. This groundbreaking book shows readers the glorious design of women before the fall, describes how the feminine heart can be restored, and casts a vision for the power, freedom, and beauty of a woman released to be all she was meant to be. By revealing the core desires every woman shares-to be romanced, to play an irreplaceable role in a grand adventure, and to unveil beauty-John and Stasi Eldredge invite women to recover their feminine hearts, created in the image of an intimate and passionate God. Further, they encourage men to discover the secret of a woman's soul and to delight in the beauty and strength women were created to offer."



1 comment:

UK said...

Captivating is a very well-written book and is designed to tug at its readers' hearts through the truth that is displayed within the context of the book. Stasi Eldredge, one of the co-authors, has an extremely intense life story that she uses to show other women the freedom they can experience through unveiling their beauty in Jesus Christ.