Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Book Review time!

So, I joined Booksneeze and have been able to request books and review them for free. Which not only is an awesome freebie but also gives me a chance to read new books. Ones that I would not normally read. It's opened my eyes :) This time I requested Mary-Ann Kirby's I Am Hutterite.
It's a fascinating true story of a young woman's journey to reclaim her heritage.
In 1969, Ann-Marie Dornn's parents did the unthinkable. They left a Hutterite colony near Portage La Prairie, Manitoba with seven children and little else, to start a new life. In one day, they were thrown into a world they knew nothing about and the world they were in, knew very little about them. Obviously, it was quite overwhelming. Ann-Marie, who was only 10 years old then, was forced to deny her background and where she came from in order to try to fit in.
This book basicaly chronicles her life and mission to reinvent herself as she learns about the painful circumstances that forced her family to leave behind teh only life she knew.
It's a really good book and extremely interesting and I definitly give it thumbs up. I just wish some parts weren't as slow as they were. I'm just not used to reading true stories or biographies or anything of that nature nor this. So overall, I liked it. :)


7 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi,

I ordered this book for review too, still waiting for it though. I'm really looking forward to reading it as I am a Hutterite living in rural Minnesota. It sure has brought a lot of controversy among my ppl and has created a lot of different opinions...so I'm anxious to read it.

Brandy M. said...

I have also ordered this book for review and your review has helped me know what to expect. Thanks so much. I am now following you as well.

http://giveawayblogdom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Can you describe what a Hutterite is?

CappuccinosMom said...

I just ordered this for review too. Itching to get my hands on it as my family spent some years in a community that was at one time associated with the Hutterites, and I grew up with Hutterite "brothers and sisters" coming and going from our community.

Sodbusters...Hutterites are an offshoot of the Anabaptist movement that sprang up just after the Reformation in Europe. They have in common with other anabaptists (Mennonites, Amish, Brethren) things like non-resistance, adult baptism, seperation from the world, but also believe in living in full community. They also developed their own particular standard of dress--the lady on the cover of the book is pretty typical.
hutterites.org has information from the Hutterite perspective.

Literary Marie said...

Hi Beckie,

I just ordered this book for review too. Reading your review makes me anxious to dive in.

L. Marie
www.precisionreviews.blogspot.com

Trista's Barn said...

I am going to order this.
Thanks!
Following you:)
~Trista

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! I'm going to order this one, too. I came from a similar religious background... I'm interested to see how it affected her life.

I'm following you! Come visit me if you want at My Open Book: www.dahlhauser.blogspot.com

Anne @ My Open Book :)